I listen to talk radio occasionally, and recently I heard a neat little segment. The name of the bit was called “Random Thankfulness,” and people called in and told about the little things in their lives that they were thankful for.
Now, we hear lots and lots about thankfulness, especially around this time of year. We are all thankful for our families and our friends and our homes and all of the things we are blessed to have.
But what about the little things?
These are the things that might sound a little odd in an expression of thankfulness, but are important just the same. So, in the spirit of the holidays, I thought I would provide you with a few of my favorites.
- Waterproof mattress pads. Oh yes. Anyone who ever raised a child should be thankful for these.
- My dishwasher: I’ve never had one before, and I am already deeply attached to it. Deeply.
- Visine Allergy eye drops. My life would be hell without these. Hell.
- Swiffers. This particular product just generally makes me happy. They actually do what they claim to do.
- My Kindle. This revolutionized my reading life. Really. I know some people who say they prefer to hold a book in their hand, but frankly, I think these people are full of crap. I can carry my whole library with me. I love it.
- Rocking chairs. When I sit down, I want to be sitting in a rocking chair. I love to rock. I rocked my babies, before and after they were born. I rock when I read. I rock when I watch TV. You get it. I like to rock.
- A new mattress. This is one thing we splurged on when we moved, and it is awesome.
- Bird feeders. I love watching the birds on the feeders outside my kitchen window. Their little lives are so fascinating.
- The sound of a little creek in our yard. Just that little trickling sound makes my day every morning when I take the dogs out.
- Which leads me to…..my dogs. You always feel funny about saying you are thankful for your dogs, but I am! I love those guys. They love me unconditionally, trust me completely, and they are always happy to see me, even if I only left to go to the bathroom.
It’s a silly list, I know, but fun, and in all seriousness, these things make my life a little better and a little brighter.
So, fill in the comments–what little things are you thankful for?
****To my readers: I am thankful for all of you, too! Thanks for reading and sharing. I hope you can find tons of things in your life to be thankful for. Merry Christmas, happy Holidays, and happy New Year to you all!